With spring cleaning out of the way and yard sale season just around the corner, follow these easy tips for a stress-free and successful yard sale to get rid of that clutter once and for all!
- Once you have gathered all of the items you want to include, create an inventory sheet of what you’re selling and the prices you’ve assigned. You’ll be surprised how much this will come in handy if the day of the sale price tags don’t stay stuck.
- See if any of your friends and neighbours want in on the sale! Larger yard sales attract larger crowds and increase your chances of selling your goods.
- After you choose your date and location make sure to advertise! This is especially important if your house or yard is on a quieter street. Keep in mind that most people will see only see your signs from their cars. Bright and colourful posters with large lettering and helpful arrows will direct shoppers your way.
- Nothing turns a shopper off a good deal more than dirty, sticky, or dusty items. Give everything you want to sell a good wipe-down before setting it out!
- If you have a lot of a certain item, say old CDs or a toy car collection, offer bargain hunters the opportunity to buy in bulk and fill a Ziploc bag or shoebox for a set price. This helps speed up your sale and move larger quantities of items.
- For those of you with kids, let them in on the yard sale too with a chance to make some pocket change! A lemonade stand or refreshments table encourages shoppers to browse through your items while enjoying a tasty treat.
Remember to keep a smile on your face and enjoy being outside! At the end of the day any items you haven’t sold can easily be boxed up and donated to a local charity to help you remain clutter-free.